“Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.” Mt 28:19-28
“Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit, and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission.” Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1213
Children are baptized to remove original sin. When someone is baptized, original sin along with any sin they have committed up to that point are forgiven and the punishment of them are relieved. The newly baptized person is now a “new creature”. They become an adoptive child of God and they now form a part of the Body of Christ. They now are in communion with all Christians. Baptism also leaves a spiritual mark on the baptized of belonging to Christ that cannot ever be taken away or erased.
What is the role of parents and godparents?
Both parents and godparents are responsible for the spiritual life of the newly baptized. That is why we ask for a class to be taken by the parents and godparents. The date of the class will be given at the time of registration.
Parents make the decision to baptize their child and as such teach and guide the child in the Catholic faith.
Godparents are to take over or assist in the faith development of the person being baptized in the event that his/her parents cannot or if they neglect the child.
We hope that in keeping in mind the information above you may want to introduce your child into the Catholic Church through Baptism. Below are the requirements to baptize at our parish of St. Cajetan:
Requirements for Baptism
- The original birth certificate of the child
- Parents and godparents must attend a class
- Godparents must:
- Bring a photo I.D. at the time of registration (only godparents)
- Must be catholic
- Must be older than 16
- Have the sacraments of Baptism and Confirmation
- If they are a couple, they must be married by the church. If they are not married by the church, they must sign a promise that they will get married.
- Donation for Baptism is of $35.00 and must be brought at the time of registration.
- Children over 5 years old, CANNOT register for Baptism of Infants. Instead, they must take catechism classes to receive the sacraments of Christian Initiation
Baptisms are every Saturday at 10 am and Sundays at 2 pm. To reserve your date, come into the office opened Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 5:30 pm with the above requirements. For additional questions you may call 303-922-6306 ext 0.